Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
fieldray Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

e61 wrote:

fieldray wrote:

Using two systems is pretty much like having two different cars you drive regularly and use for different purposes. After about 2 seconds I adapt to whichever one I am operating without confusion. The only downside is financial :). The Nikon lenses I depend on are the 24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 f/2.8, 24-30 f4.0, 35mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 50mm f1.2 S lenses for the Z cameras, and 58mm f1.4, 105mm f1.4, 300mm f4 PF, and 500mm f4 F mount lenses. The Sony lenses I depend on are the 20mm f1.8, 24mm f1.4, 85mm f1.4, 90mm f2.8 macro, 135mm f/1.8, 16–35 f/2.8, 100-400 and 200-600 zooms. I have been a Nikon user since 1969 and I will likely never abandon them, but I have always had another system which does things Nikon doesn’t do. For instance, the Sony A9ii body has responsiveness and fast rolling shutter readout (no artifacts from artificial light) in silent shutter mode that make it unique for dynamic people pictures. In film days my alternative system was Hasselblad. But when I travel, my kit is still primarily Nikon, for subjective reasons, and because their 24-70 and 70-200 zooms are just rock solid excellent!

Thanks again for another really helpful response!

If you don't mind me asking, when you found that using Sony lenses on a Nikon Z body was a poor experience, were you using the Techart adapter? (I'm not aware of any others, so I assume so, but just wanted to check.) I'm trying to decide between "don't even bother" and "ehh, buy it on Amazon, give it a shot, but probably return it." (I'd rent a Sony body and a 24 GM for the test, too, if I go that route.)

And those divisions make a ton of sense to me. My seven "musts" are the f2.8 trinity, a pretty good macro lens, and fast 24, 35 and 85s. The Z system is ticking most of those boxes: I'm thrilled with Nikon on the Z f2.8 zooms (though I do prefer the 16-35 range). The Z 85mm f1.8 S is great for me too, I've kept the Z 50mm f1.8 S because it's a killer lens and cheap, and I actually don't mind using the FTZ on a macro because that's not the kind of lens I'll walk out the door with and hand-hold around the city for several hours or whatever, unlike a 24, 35, 14-24 or 24-70. I don't need anything longer than 200mm often enough to buy rather than renting (though if Nikon's eventual Z 200-600 is relatively well-priced, that might change). It's really only the 24 and 35 where Sony is making something that Nikon hasn't come close to, and unfortunately those are my two favorite focal lengths.

One other element that separated the Z6 and the A7 III when I was last evaluating Sony vs. Nikon mirrorless bodies was ergonomics. I know the A7R IV improved quite a bit in that regard, but other than handling it a little in my local camera store a couple times, I don't have any experience with it. Not sure which Sony body you're using, but if it's one with the updated ergonomics -- do you find you have a strong preference one way or the other between it and the Z bodies? Or that there's a super-clear downside to one or the other that you haven't adjusted to? I know this is subjective, but I feel like I'm headed down a similar path to the one you're on and I appreciate you sharing your experiences!

Yes my experience is with the Techart adaptor, and there were times I had to reboot the camera, times it would focus off into the twilight zone, or lurch around looking for focus.  A total distraction from doing photography!  The ergonomics of the A7riv and A9ii are very comfortable to me, and are much improved from the A7riii and A9.  The Sony autofocus works more like a Nikon D850 than Nikon Z cameras do and is good enough and intuitive enough that I don’t have to think about it most of the time, much like setting exposure is for cameras these days.  Nikon is still a generation behind Sony for focus in my opinion.  So why do I still shoot Nikon?  Because their core lenses like f/2.8 zooms are so good, color starting point for processing is less often problematic, and I deeply trust the reliability of the cameras and lenses.  If Nikon didn’t exist I would be happy with Sony, and vice versa, particularly in a year or two when Nikon’s lens selection is matured.

fieldray's gear list:fieldray's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sony a7R IV +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow