Holding on to the 200-500mm 5.6 after acquiring the 500mm 5.6 prime?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Janet Zinn
Janet Zinn Veteran Member • Posts: 4,463
Re: Holding on to the 200-500mm 5.6 after acquiring the 500mm 5.6 prime?

JasonTheBirder wrote:

But that would be mainly if you want to shoot things besides birds on such a trip like larger mammals and maybe use the greater magnification of the 200-500 for things like lizards. I am aware also that e.g. a D500+500PF and a second smaller camera with a smaller zoom can be an alternative but carrying around two cameras to certain locations is logistically tedious.

Jason hit the nail on the head. I kept my 200-500 and I'm glad I did. Even though I had the 500PF already, I took the 200-500 to Madagascar because I knew I'd want to shoot everything from reptiles to lemurs to birds. Ditto when I went to Australia, I knew I'd want it for kangaroos, wallabys as well as birds.

Another consideration is the close focus. The 200-500 focuses about three feet closer than the 500PF and that definitely makes a difference in a close forest situation, or for reptiles. It actually took me awhile to stop cursing at the 500PF when I couldn't get the close focus that I was used to with the 200-500 (I'm accustomed to it now

However, to be honest shooting locally at home I have not picked up the 200-500 since I got the 500PF.

So it all depends on your needs.

Janet Zinn's gear list:Janet Zinn's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon Z7 II
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow