Nikon Z7ii AF-C in the Snow - Disastrous Results

Started 1 month ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nils
Nils Senior Member • Posts: 1,223
Nikon Z7ii AF-C in the Snow - Disastrous Results

I am shocked. I have been shooting outdoor fashion for over 20 years now and have owned every single Nikon Camera and Lens. Today I had a Lifestyle Fashion Shoot in the Snow. Model, Make-Up Artist, Stylist and Client. Gladly I took my Nikon D850 along as the Nikon Z7ii failed in almost every setting.

With the face detection it wouldn't even focus on the Model at ALL jumping from Snowflake to Snowflake. Switching to AF-C or even Spot Focus still had AF of the Z 70-200 2.8 jumping around like crazy. I tried all possible settings for 5 Minutes with everybody freezing and then ran back to the car to the D850 with the AF-C 3D Tracking and the old 70-200 VR 2.8 which had no issues focusing at all!

This is such a huge step back from the D850. The AF is mediocre at its best!

Here an example with AF-C - Wide Face Human Face Tracking - The first shot taking with the yellow box recognizing the eye. Then simply holding down the shutter. All shots were taken within one second (see time stamp) - AF-S would have worked better, BUT shooting at 3.2 I prefer using AF-C as if the model moves ab it closer or back all pics will be out of focus.

I am really disappointed. I shot another 8 sets trying all other focus tracking options with similar horrible results! I really hope Nikon can fix this via software.

This is the whole image

From here all are at 100% so you can see how the focus jumps. First shot in focus:

It decided to focus on the snow flake instead

Then it went focusing hunting

More Focus Hunting in the wrong direction:

Still not finding the Subject. Even with AF Eye Detection on

AF jumped back but still several inches in front of the eye

back to hunting AF

jumping far out of focus again

AF recovered back on the eye

Not to forget that often it could not focus at all. No matter what AF setting I used. I had to manually turn the focus to stop it from hunting!

-- hide signature --

4FR-Photography
http://www.4FR.de

Nikon Z7 II
46 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Oct 14, 2020
Nils's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
weak
Action / sports
weak
Landscapes / scenery
great
Portraits
acceptable
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
unrated
Studio / still life
unrated
= community average
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JNo
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
MOD TOF guy
NCB
JNo
JNo
JNo
JNo
JNo
JNo
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow