Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 pictures

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
skyrunr
skyrunr Senior Member • Posts: 1,173
Re: Z50 + Z DX 16-50mm f/3.5-6.3 pictures

Thank you for sharing your experience and photos.  The Z50 might not get enough credit here.  It should probably even have it's own forum given the difference in Z7II users and Z50 users!    It kept up with my D500 IQ wise and is even slightly better in some conditions.

EVF - I turn brightness way down and have d7 apply to liver view and did not need any adjustments.

The Fn buttons are very cramped if you have large hands, but I got used to it.  Although I had to switch my Fn1 with Fn2 because I couldn't adjust the front dial and hold Fn1 easily.

"i" menu OK confirmation "feature" is a safety.  I would like to have the option to disable it.  I can't tell you how many times I've adjusted settings and have to go back to them to re-apply them, even on DSLR's.  On top of that, sometimes you have to hit the + and sometimes the OK button!  Still better menu system than ANY other make I've tried.  It is probably meant more for touchscreens use which I DISABLED anyway because I kept hitting it.  I'd disable the zoom and display buttons as well, not a fan of soft buttons.  Although maybe I would be if they were Fn's.

p61 of the reference manual explains why/when animal AF will not engage.  I think Nikon is leaving out quite a bit of detail in the manuals regarding these features.  "subject's face occupies a very large or very small portion of the frame" could be more detailed, and they've gotten away from visual examples.  Which SHOULD at least be included in online content.  There are also 26 items that don't have "?" help in the menus.  (minor)

I'd really like zebras in the EVF as well, especially since the technology is available in video.  However, metering is so good (especially side-by-side with my D500 which was no slouch,) and even with my EVF dimmed,  I've yet to have a problem with over-exposing.

Glad you picked it up and got out there.  Time to order your own copy and maybe the 14-30Z.  You live in a beautiful area.  Enjoy!

-- hide signature --

SkyRunR
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
'Out of the darkness there must come out the light.' Bob Marley

skyrunr's gear list:skyrunr's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Sony a7R III Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Sony FE 70-200 F4 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow