How is the R5 handheld focus bracketing for small subjects e.g. insects (particularly cf. Olympus)?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Sheeno Junior Member • Posts: 41
How is the R5 handheld focus bracketing for small subjects e.g. insects (particularly cf. Olympus)?

Hi all,

I currently spread myself between M43 and the L mount, using the M43 largely for macro and the S1R for most other things. My M43 is an Olympus EM1 mk ii, and one thing I love about it is the ability to take handheld focus stacks of small insects, even when using a dioptre for further increased magnification. Now that the R5 is on the scene with its rapid focus bracketing via electronic shutter, I am considering selling all of my gear and just investing into the Canon ecosystem.

I have seen some great examples of handheld focus stacks with the R5, but usually of larger subjects. I would be interested to know how people have got on taking them of small subjects such as insects at high levels of magnification approaching 1:1. If anyone has experience with the Olympus M43 cameras using the same function, I would also love to know of any comparisons between the two.

I am aware of one difference, which is that the Oly does the stacking in-camera whereas the R5 will only do brackets; whilst this is a slight shame, not because the Oly stacking is amazing but just because it serves as a nice guide to see how your bracket might turn out when put into dedicated software, it's not a problem for me so long as it's still feasible to take handheld brackets of these subjects with the R5. I imagine, in addition to the fps, other factors such as the weight of the camera/lens and the higher MP count of the R5 might all make a difference.

Thanks!

Canon EOS R5 Olympus E-M1 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow