Do I really need UHS-II cards for my A7RIV?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426
Do I really need UHS-II cards for my A7RIV?

Been searching for some answers to this question but not really got a clear thought on if they’re worth the cost for MY use.

I don’t shoot continuously much at all therefore I’m don’t need much buffer depth. I mainly shoot travel, landscape, urban, candid people and family activities. I do shoot birds when the opportunity arises but not a lot of BiF. Therefore most of my photos are single releases up to now. Of course with the real time tracking of the A7RIV (when mine arrives) may change that and I might use continuous more frequently. At which time fast UHS-II cards make more sense to me.

So, I’ve read several posts and seen Alik Griffin’s test page, but it seems to me that until buffer clearing is a requisite, I may as well stick with my Sandisk Extreme Pro 170r/95w cards for now. I’ve been using these with my A7RIII and found they write as fast as I need since when I do shoot a burst it might be only maybe 10 frames at a time. Oh, and I shoot Raw+Jpeg Fine to both card slots on my R3, one gets transferred to a SSD daily while travelling while the second card is a backup and only gets changed/erased when I have a separate drive backup of it.

Interested in what you fast card experts really think. The fastest UHS-II cards like Sony Tough G are horrendously expensive here in Australia, at least 25% more than the US and slow deliveries with Covid means I’d probably just buy local if I would get a tangible benefit for my applications,

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” - Ansel Adams

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +8 more
ANSWER:
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow