Purpose-centric advice buying a new camera

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Digital Sky New Member • Posts: 1
Purpose-centric advice buying a new camera

Hello there. I'm going to be purchasing a new camera soon and was looking for some advice. Functionality, quality, size, and budget have landed me on the Canon EOS R. I'm not a professional. I have a non-photography related career so this is just an entry into photography for me. My work gives me the opportunity to travel and I have missed many countless potential shots that I now recognize after picking this up as a hobby. Soon to be side gig. I don't really want specialized use, more general capability. Landscape, wildlife, portrait, street etc. I am aware that the EOS R is not the best on the market for any of these and is older technology now, but in researching, I've found that it will suit my needs just fine. Being unfamiliar with optics, and the lens options, my question is this: I would need to carry one lens due to space limitations and I want to know what the best general use lens would be. Something that may be not the best at any one thing, but works ok for everything. If that makes sense. I'm aware as well that Canon has an EF adapter that would allow for the use of their EF lenses on the EOS R. Camera + lens + transport/storage gear i would prefer to stay under $3500 but could go as high as $4k.

Sorry for being so long winded about this and look forward to getting some knowledge dropped.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow