Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
OP e61 Regular Member • Posts: 131
Re: Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

fieldray wrote:

The Nikon 28mm F1.4 is a more modern design than either the 24 or 35 f1.4 lenses, and is an excellent lens. The 35 has really nice bokeh but suffers from chromatic aberration. Still, I have some excellent photos I have taken with it. The 24 is pretty good optically but not quite as good as the 28. All of these options utilize the FTZ adaptor and are a bit front-heavy, and the whole ensemble is pretty bulky. On the other hand, a 24mm F1.4 GM lens on a Sony body is a delight in handling and size, and fantastic optically! I suspect the same will be the case for the new 35mm GM although I don’t yet have first hand experience to substantiate that claim. I decided to spend the money to use Sony bodies for the Sony lenses that are spectacular, and Nikon bodies for the Nikon lenses that are spectacular. I have had poor experiences trying to use Sony lenses on Nikon bodies, with turn-on glitches and poorly optimized focus performance. I respect that you are not interested in Nikon’s f/1.8 lenses, but I admit that I have been really impressed with the bokeh of Nikon’s 24mm and 35mm f1.8 Z lenses. If I were to stick to only Nikon I would probably buy the f1.8 Z lens of my focal length choice now, and then sell it when a faster lens becomes available, since that may be awhile.

Thanks, I really appreciate your thoughts here.

The Sony 24mm f1.4 GM is basically perfect — it’s exactly the right size and weight, from my limited use of it. Looks like the 35 will be basically the same. When an A7IV comes out with the improved ergonomics and menu, those two lenses alone would have me thinking about switching systems. Then the Nikon Z f2.8 zooms might drag me right back. (My other key prime focal length is 85, but I’m happy with both the Sony and the Nikon native 85mm f1.8 lenses, so that’s no real influence either way.)

How do you like maintaining both of them? Is it much if a mental hurdle to switch back and forth? I could pick up a used A7III for a pretty decent price — but I’d worried that it would just be hard to go back and forth.

Also, this isn’t directly related to my question but I am curious: Which lenses have you decided to go with for each system? Do you find yourself increasingly moving one way or the other?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow