For landscapes, 70-300 or 100-400?

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,599
Re: For landscapes, 70-300 or 100-400?

I’ve scanned to other replies only so sorry if this has been mentioned, but I’m really inclined to recommend a 70-200G or the Tamron 70-180. This is because your stated main use is landscapes. 200mm is usually plenty or compression and drawing mid distance subjects closer. Anything more than a short distance from camera is likely to be subject to atmospheric interference depending on time of day and weather which will impact any lens you chose. Now if you were using for wildlife and birds, then longer would be required in which case the 70-300 lenses are in no-mans land IMHO. After only moderate success with the Sony 70-300G on an expedition in 2019, I sold it and bought the 100-400GM and it’s wonderful. Having a proper tripod mount is great and it works well with the teleconverters as well. Personally, I view 70-300s as an attempt as as a Jack of all trades but master of none TBH.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” - Ansel Adams

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow