Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
e61 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Best 24mm and 35mm f1.4 autofocus options on Z-mount until there’s a native lens?

I love shooting environmental portraits wide open, and while I love almost every Z lens introduced so far, I really wish there was a native f1.4 24mm or 35mm prime. They’re my most-used focal lengths.

I’m evaluating my options until Nikon (or Sigma or Tamron or whoever!) releases an f1.2 or f1.4 prime around 24, 28 or 35mm, and wanted to get a little feedback from those that have faced similar decisions.

Here are the options I see right now for each focal length. My requirements: 1) f1.4 or faster, and 2) autofocus. Please no debates about the merits of f1.4 vs. f1.8 :). I value bokeh quality, accurate autofocus and relatively quiet autofocus for video.

24mm:

— Sigma Art 24mm f1.4 on the FTZ adapter. I don’t love using the FTZ, it feels front-heavy, but this is a relatively lightweight lens.

— Nikon 24mm f1.4G on the FTZ. I’ve never owned this lens and would love to hear from those who have.

— Sony 24mm f1.4 GM on the Techart TZE-01. I know this lens gets exceptional reviews and I would be first in line if Nikon ever made something similar. Haven’t used that adapter yet though.

— Canon EF 24mm f1.4L II on a Fringer adapter. This one seems impractical, but I’m including it just to note every viable option.

35mm:

— Nikon 35mm f1.4G on the FTZ. I know it’s an older design but I’ve used this lens before and liked it. It’s been years, though!

— Tamron 35mm f1.4 on the FTZ. I know this is a newer and very well-reviewed lens, but it’s also the heaviest option here and I worry about it being awkward and way too front-heavy on an adapter. If I was using a DSLR, though, I think this is what I’d buy.

— Sigma Art 35mm f1.4 on the FTZ. I haven’t owned this lens but know it’s been popular. Experiences?

— Canon EF 35mm f1.4L II on the Fringer adapter. I know this lens has been a favorite of many, though I’ve only used its older version.

— Sony 35mm f1.4 GM on the Techart TZE-01 adapter. This is the lens that was just announced. Argh — its size and performance are exactly what I want. Just hesitant to take the risk of deviating and using a third party adapter.

Not including the Sigma Art 35mm f1.2 DG DN here because of reports that Sigma’s E-mount lenses don’t work well, or in some cases at all, on the Techart adapter.

Another possibility:

— Nikon 28mm f1.4E on the FTZ. A good in-between focal length that could hold me over until there are fast Z-mount 24s and 35s.

Also ought to mention that I’d be buying these used, not new — in case that’s relevant when considering prices!

Anything I’m missing? Any thoughts or feedback on any of these options I’m weighing?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow