Have RX100 III, Considering G5xII

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
larrytusaz Senior Member • Posts: 2,666
Have RX100 III, Considering G5xII

I have the Sony RX100 III and Nikon Z50. The former is my more "everyday" camera while the Z50 is my "premier" model, the latter of which will likely remain for a good while. I shoot casual portraits of my kids (sometimes other people's too) and landscapes.

However, I am looking around at other RX100 types of cameras, and the G5x II catches my eye, depending on what it sells for these days (I can get a RX100 III for less than $300 easily) and how it compares to my RX100 III otherwise, which is what I'm asking about.

(1) Magfilter. I can attach a 46mm "MagFilter" to my RX100 III and get a CPL polarizer for landscapes. I assume I can do the same here?

(2) Ergonomics. It looks like the G5x II has better ergonomics, am I correct? I do OK with the RX100 III, but better is better (if it is).

(3) The pop-up EVF, I assume it works a lot the same as the EVF on the RX100 III? Does it have a level gauge for landscapes? (That's a biggie, I use that a lot on my cameras with landscapes.)

(4) I assume it's about the same size as the RX100 III?

So far anyway, the only advantage my RX100 III has that I can see (other than familiarity and maybe lower price) is that its RAW files would be compatible with my old version of Lightroom, 5.7.

Any other observations, comparisons etc?

larrytusaz's gear list:larrytusaz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D3300 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +3 more
Canon PowerShot G5 X Nikon Z50 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow