From Nikon Z6 & Z7 to EOS R5...

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
StanyBuyle
StanyBuyle Senior Member • Posts: 1,654
From Nikon Z6 & Z7 to EOS R5...

Good evening, morning, or afternoon to all of you!

I am a +30 year Nikon shooter (with a short 5D adventure and some Fuji’s along with that) and moved from D4, D500 & D850 to Z7 & Z6 on day one of their availability because of more photographic opportunities, silence, size & weight, and the many advantages ML offers over DSLR. I loved Z VERY much but it was not a D500(*) for action. Good enough for BIF and similar but too slow for fast action. I could live with that... Under while I was dreaming about a Z7 successor in a D500 alike body, with D500' AF, but ZII was not what I was hoping for... Going back to DSLR was not an option, because of the many ML advantages and for professional reasons (totally silent shooting).

On November 29th I met a friend who was shooting an R5 in a local wildlife park that I often visit and I could try his R5 intensively. I was simply stupefied, especially about AF. Wow… LCD was another wow factor…

In the night of 29 to 30 November I did not sleep for a minute and on November 30th I was phoning all day around to shops in Belgium, Holland, France and Germany. Nowhere in stock... Long waiting times...

On December 12th I got mine.
The first 48 hours were pure horror trying to get along with a totally different system and menus. For a moment I was even thinking about returning it…

On December 20th I started to sell most of my Nikon gear to finance partly my entire brand switch with all glass I need, for fun and for my work...

R5 is that good.

I’m still undecided about the software. DPP4 provides much quality and opportunities but it’s slow. I’m studying several trial software right now...

Thanks for your attention and kindest regards,

Stany

(*) D500 was the Nikon DSLR that I liked the best, more than my D850 or D4 because of it’s perfect size to my personal taste, AF point field coverage and button layout.

My dogs fighting for a ball while running fast. Tracking with my R5 & 70-200 F2.8 on the left dog's eye was piece of cake... (Image from RAW, initially a bit underexposed and while lifting shadow for the dog's fur, but I still have to learn to handle the new software)

-- hide signature --

I like better one decent picture in a day than 10 bad ones in a second.
Registered on Dpreview since 2003.

StanyBuyle's gear list:StanyBuyle's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +1 more
Canon EOS R5 Nikon D4 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow