Flash unit for 6D II

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
gipper51 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182
Re: Flash unit for 6D II

I can highly recommend the Canon 430EX-III RT.  I have this flash along with the big gun 600 II RT and several older Canon flashes.  The 430 is a gem, and is the flash I take with me the most due to the compact size.  It doesn't have all the external controls and is missing a few of the high end features of the 600, but for a basic on camera flash it's got everything you need.  And it will certainly work well for off camera strobe work if you get into that.   And being a native Canon flash you can just expect that it will work with no fuss, and be compatible with future bodies for a long time.  Heck, my 550 EX flashes from the late 90s still work great on all my bodies.

I've never tried any of the Godox/Flashpoint stuff, though they have a very strong following and seem to work great.  My only reservation is for how long a unit will stay compatible with newer bodies.  The older versions seemed to have issues after 4-5 years, but perhaps I'm not remembering correctly?

-- hide signature --
 gipper51's gear list:gipper51's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow