Canon Wide Format Saga

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,097
Canon Wide Format Saga

Having moved in the year before Covid and having departed with my aged wide format Epsons (too pricey to move across country), I decided to jump back into the foray of a wider format printer. Recently, I secured an incredible price on a new Canon pro 2000 (24") printer which was too perfect to pass up. For pennies more than the cost of a pro 1000, this beast was delivered on the pallet to my front door.

Unboxing, which was simple other than cutting the plastic retaining straps and lifting the cardboard off revealed an expertly packaged and organized array of goodies with the stand, ink, and accessories on top and the printer on the bottom surrounded by protective styrofoam...

Removing the accessories was easy and I appreciated the organization facilitating the construction of the stand in preparation for printer placement. The only "got ya'" in the packaging is that the basket bar and fabric are packed underneath the printer and are easily overlooked (barely visible in the bottom of the image below).

Assembling the stand is quite easy and it requires only a few allen wrench bolts and all of the tools and bolts are supplied. This is easily accomplished by one person. The basket is bit wonky and is the only more fragile appearing component in the operation.

At this point one is faced with moving the beast. The printer itself is 44"x29"x25" and it weighs over 185#. One challenge is to ensure that it will fit through your door openings and that you have strong bodies for the move. The printer can be grasped from either end and back with build in "handles" (recesses) though no weight is supposed to be applied to the middle. Additionally, it can be placed on one end to fit around corners though be sure to note which end can sustain the weight. Two strong individuals can manage it though plan for more.

Placing the printer on the stand is easy and is facilitated by both guide bars on the back of the basket bar and pins on the stand which fit positively into the printer. The printer seems seems stable on the stand though there are six small screws which secure it precisely.

Afterwards, it's time to set up the printer. After removing all of the packing tape, pulling off the carriage stays, and powering up the printer, one is presented with step by step instructions on the LCD display which are echoed in the clearly defined set up manual. Be sure to remove the tape off of the paper roller which is obscured behind the bottom cover - it is not immediately visible. The first step is entering the language and an obscure time zone (+- GMT). It would have been easier to just use a time zone/city combination as who remembers their zone relative to GMT?

The next step is to load the 12 starter cartridges. After gentle agitation, the 110 ml cartridges easily fit in their designed holders at the top rear of the unit. The whole process is rather seamless and the cartridge seating is confirmed by LED's at the top of the receptacle. Afterwards, the next step is to drop in the print head. Surprisingly, this is a bit less transparent as one has to remove the protective caps and then orient the print head properly (I didn't try installing it improperly to see if it would fit in any other conformation). After closing the two step lock, the printer confirms proper head registration and then prompts the user for unit calibration. Fortunately, paper for these next steps come with the printer for set up, and I was pleased with how easily the 8 1/2x11" paper loaded.

After the calibration paper loads, the printer charges the lines with ink. For me, that's where this joyous process ended and I was met with a flashing orange light and a fatal error code, EC21... which has to do with ink vacuum for the line/head feed. There's little information on the internet to try to troubleshoot and after an hour on the phone with a Canon representative, the net result is a sore back, frustration, and a wait for an in-service technician sometime in the future. So, for now I have a nice piece of furniture and at least the cat is amused with a new and intriguing item.

Fortunately, I still have my 17" Epsons which have survived several moves, without a hitch and they still keep on printing. Hopefully, this is not a portend of Canon professional printer reliability.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow