Poll: Hobbyists, How frequently do you upgrade your PP software?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: Disagree--check your sample

brucet wrote:

irv00 wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

First of all, Adobe's revenue comes from far, far more that LR and PS.

That's correct.

Second, you are comparing Adobe to Phase One / Capture One, not the total of every other company that sells photo-editing software.

That was an example. But I'd venture the opinion that Adobe's share of the market is bigger than all others put together. There is a very simple reason for that - I'll get to it in my next comment.

Third, there are vast discrepancies in software prices. E.g., Adobe is $120/year or whatever, and there are lots of people who do things like buy Affinity Photo, ACDSee, Silkypix, etc. for well under $120 and use it for several years without paying for an upgrade. So e.g. if Adobe sells 10 units for $120 each, then it has $1200 revenue; and if Serif sells 20 units of Affinity Photo for $50 each, then it has $1000 revenue. In that example Adobe has 10 users and Serif has 20 users, even though Adobe had more revenue. Adobe may well have more revenue but fewer users!

You're engaging in 'happy accounting", where Adobe's $120/year cost is compared to the lowest price for the competition (Affinity Photo).

The thing is that most of those products run well over $120 - and the yearly upgrades have to be factored in. You'd have to find an AVERAGE of the cost of Adobe alternatives.

Another hidden cost: as we can see here VERY FREQUENTLY, people buy Affinity Photo or something affordable and do so because they don't want to pay Adobe 'forever'. It's fine to that point. But the thing is, they DO NOT stop there: now they have to spend on software for DAM (Digital Asset Management), they buy Luminar or DxO or whatever in order to feel they have all the bases covered. Spend their time (how much is their time worth per hour???) learning new software and also making it work together.

On top of that, they pay for yearly renewals of their additional purchases.

It may not be your case, but from simple observation here over the years, a lot of people who reject the Adobe subscription on price alone, are spending twice on makeshift 'solutions' and impulse buys.

My own strong suspicion is that probably a higher percentage of users use Adobe phot-editing software than any other single brand of photo editing software; but that does not mean that "the overwhelming majority of users go for the Adobe subscription," and to the contrary, I bet fewer than half of those who use photo-editing software are Adobe plan subscribers.

Do you have any evidence that backs your claim or makes it believable?

Is it possible that people know the Adobe subscription is their best option?

For many people, I agree that an Adobe subscription is an option they should exercise. IMOPO that's far more due to pixel editing (PS) than to raw conversion and/or printing (LR), and for raw conversion LR / ACR is not overall the best (or second-best) product--but then I agree that much depends on personal needs and preferences, and LR / ACR may be best for many people.

That's where Adobe hit the jackpot: a case could be made that Capture One or even DxO are the same or even slightly better than Lightroom. But when you include Photoshop in the conversation, it becomes a no-contest.

That's the only reason people go for the subscription. I would not pay $120/year for Lightroom. But I'm more than happy to pay it for all the additional content: Photoshop, mobile applications, Premiere Rush, Adobe Type Library, Porfolio site, Cloud storage, etc...

In short, Adobe's success is based on giving people great value for their money.

Guys you are forgetting one thing. The OP asked about HOBBYIST users. Don't confuse professional user numbers with hobby numbers. Much of Adobe $$$'s come from professional/corporate use. Weed out the pro users and my guess is that you have a completely different picture.

On the other hand, subscription has enabled hobbyists to legally use the software that they previously couldn’t justify spending a considerable amount of money on, or otherwise use a pirated copy.

As such, I bet there’s a lot more hobbyists using Adobe’s solution rather than, say, DXO or capture one, because it’s more affordable.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
jfw
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow