Fujifilm XF10 impressions

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Chris_84 Forum Member • Posts: 56
Fujifilm XF10 impressions

Hey,

last year I was looking for a camera that I can take with me very comfortably (e.g. when touring with my roadbike) and that offers a significantly better image quality than a smartphone camera. I also wanted to be able to edit RAW images. I hesitated for a long time to buy the XF-10, because there were a lot of complaints about the autofocus. Then it was available in a shop shortly before Christmas new for 280 euros and I couldn't resist. In short, I think the camera is absolutely underrated. For such a small camera it is really fantastic and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

Built quality: very good, much better than expected. Many parts are made of metal, some are made of plastic, but it is very difficult to tell them apart. There are enough manual control dials/wheels and there is even an autofocus joystick!! I don't know that from any camera this small and in this price-range.

Operation and speed: Thanks to the many control options, you can even use the camera in manual mode without any problems. It is sad that the ring on the lens cannot be assigned the “set aperture” function (or I'm too stupid for that). You can only assign the ring to iso or to the zoom function, which I don't like. I now mostly take photos in manual mode, and i set the back dial to shutter speed and front dial to aperture and iso to auto (limit at 3200). So i can react relatively quickly to different situations, which I really like. I activated the boost mode and I have to say that there are no annoying delays in operating the camera. The autofocus is actually not the fastest, but it is absolutely useful and with the current firmware is not nearly as bad as it was shown in some YouTube videos.

In normal everyday scenarios I have no problems with the autofocus at all and it is accurate enough. Do not expect to be able to photograph fast moving objects (children playing / running or pets). But in my experience, a smartphone is not useful for this either. For everything that is static, the autofocus is absolutely sufficient. Even in lower light it is good enough for my use cases. It is great, that you can focus on subjects, that are very close so you get some "macro" abilities.

Image-quality: What can I say, I'm super happy with the picture quality. You can tell that a larger sensor is at work and, in my opinion, even a current iPhone cannot keep up with the image quality. Even at lowlight shooting, I can't complain. The 18mm lens makes it relatively easy to take pictures at 1/30 sec, which means that the camera is low-light capable. Iso 3200 is absolutely useful. I attach a few pictures from Christmas (which are not artistically great, but you can see the how the camera performs in lower light conditions). Overall, I have to say that the camera is absolutely underrated and if you can get it for around 300 euros, you can't go wrong. Just don't expect the camera to be suitable for fast action, then you will be very happy if you are looking for a small camera with good controls!

Chris_84's gear list:Chris_84's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow