Why aren't JPEGs better than they are?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
nevada5
nevada5 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,973
Why aren't JPEGs better than they are?

Every time I buy a camera I shoot raw +JPEG. I set up a simple preset for the raws (sharpening, saturation, clarity, etc) and I go for a very natural look. Then I compare it to the OOC JPEG. I tweak the in-camera JPEG settings, shoot again, re-tweak and shoot, etc. My goal is to finally be able to shoot JPEG only.

I am never able to get the JPEG to equal the quality of the raw. I recently bought a Sony RX100M6 and I'm at the same conclusion.

I'm not interested in a raw/JPEG debate, just an explanation if it's available. A friendly discussion.  Camera mfgs can set up a JPEG any way they want and it's safe to say they've come a long way with in-camera development (look at what they've done with phone software.)

I tackle one thing at a time thinking there must be a combination that will emulate the raw with my LR adjustments but it's always a no-go. Is it me? Is it unattainable?

-- hide signature --

I'll try to be nicer if you'll try to be smarter.
Life is short - drive a convertible.

nevada5's gear list:nevada5's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 VI Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow