* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #664 on 2021 01 13 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,149
Re: The last piece. Group response.

minniev wrote:

Gee, that looks like a doozie! As someone who occasionally gets drawn into a puzzle spree, I appreciate the need for documenting that final piece but you did a bit more than that, you made a nicely composed documentary image of it and used color as part of the glue that holds it together.

The hardest puzzle I’ve had was made of a picture I took in Arches NP, and it had some similarities to this.

Mike Fewster wrote:

My brother in law is a jigsaw puzzle tragic. The more difficult the puzzle, the better the likes it. One of my photos promised to be challenging as a jigsaw so I had a copy made as a 1000 piece puzzle for him for Christmas.

It took him nearly three days. He invited me to witness the final piece.

I tried a number of different angles when shooting and then played with different crops. The window is quite deliberate. I liked the repetition of rectangular shapes and a second hint of the outdoors in an indoors scene.

Yes, the puzzle is from a photo you have seen of mine a couple of years ago. Roel is correct, the commercial possibilities of a jigsaw of that shot were being explored. Unfortunately, the quality of the manufacture left a lot to be desired. The photo is peeling up from the backing cardboard on several pieces. It was also prohibitively expensive and at the price I would need to charge, customers are entitled to receive a better quality item. It is something I will take up with the company that made it for me.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow