Nikon d700 vs. d610 vs. d750 vs. Df?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,463
Re: Nikon d700 vs. d610 vs. d750 vs. Df?

The good news is that we are now very well served with these Fx DSLR bodies at more bearable prices than even 5 years ago. I was the ultimate hold-out from film a couple of years back, have been taking film for 55 years(!) - but refused to drop the "pro" prices on Fx till more recently.

You will have a good view of your resolution needs from film, which is (35mm stock dependent) about 12-16Mp. while I'd agree that 12Mp is mostly OK much of the time, I don't think I'd be happy with 12Mp on digital because people tend to "zoom" more in both digital and print output these days, Additionally, we're called on to supply a greater variety of aspect ratios which result in crop.

The D700 is certainly much loved and has a good sticker price these days, probably now fairly priced given it's no longer economically serviceable. Many love the build and Sooc, and it's a pretty good digital equivalent to 35mm film. I think if I were going for this generation of 12Mp Fx today, I'd be getting a D3S, which produces stunning low light images.

I chose the D750 and am very pleased to have done so. The additional AF points over the D610, and low light AF is great, and the flippy screen and wireless surprisingly useful. I also like the highlight weighted metering for high contrast scenes, that might be relevant to you. I don't think the D700 does that.

While the high iso and af is excellent in low light, where I can, I'll be operating at low ISO (sometimes with flash), because this really exploits the full DR which is still right up there.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow