What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
mfinley
mfinley Senior Member • Posts: 4,811
Re: A humble suggestion

Smaug01 wrote:

To those who replied (they will slowly disappear)

Why not print some of the most important moments, and write relevant information on the back of the prints? Year, who's in the photo, where it was, what the occasion was?

This is our life's contribution to the art; I'm surprised and disappointed to see such apathy about it here...

What I've started doing is to start a collection of small archival photo albums and filling them with family 4x6s. The ones I REALLY love, I print 8x10 and put them in an archival binder. Another archival binder holds the negatives from my film shots.

We, as the family photographers should be the willing custodians of our familys' photographic legacy. Just my opinion.

Your binders will end up in the landfill sooner or later unless you are famous for something, have historically valuable images or you have family that expresses interest in your images. I don't think it's apathy, I think it's realistic outlooks by many, much better than a bunch of rationalizations. If you are getting joy today from what you are doing, that's great and a worthwhile pursuit for today, but unless family wants them they are going to the landfill sooner or later. If you have family that wants them you have a great double whammy with something you enjoy doing today and fufilling a purpose for someone for tomorrow.

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow