Poll: Hobbyists, How frequently do you upgrade your PP software?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
Greg Edwards Regular Member • Posts: 298
Re: Disagree--check your sample

irv00 wrote:

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

I'd bet heavily that "the overwhelming majority of users" do not "go for the Adobe subscription." I'd bet that of those who have paid for photo-editing software in, say, the last five years, the majority are not current subscribers to an Adobe photo plan.

That's not what the evidence points to. There are many reports of how successful the Adobe Photography Plan has been.

There is no disputing that the subscription model seems to be working very well for Adobe's finances. But that in no way tells us what percent of people who use photo editing software subscribe to an Adobe plan. I remain of the strong suspicion that it's not the overwhelming majority, or even a simple majority.

Given that Phase One (both the hardware and software divisions - the whole enchilada) was sold for 230 millions last year and given that Adobe makes more than that in a single day, where do you get the idea that the Adobe Photography Plan doesn't have a large lead in market share?

Is there any evidence anywhere that would indicate Adobe doesn't have a virtual monopoly? What's the explanation for the huge amounts of money?

Finally, let's be honest: what's Adobe's success based on?

Putting a gun to people's head to sign up for the subscription?

Simple marketing tricks? If it's just marketing how come nobody can replicate it?

I know...I know...Adobe throws huge amounts of money at marketing and users are so dumb they subscribe not knowing that they have better and cheaper options. Right?

Is it possible that people know the Adobe subscription is their best option?

Many photographers seem to forget there's a lot more to adobe than Lightroom and Photoshop. Yes, the Photography Plan have been a huge flagship success for Adobe, but don't forget all of those Graphic Designers, illustrators, web designers, video editors, animators, campaign managers, product designers, experience designers and many, many other creative types out there. Adobe serves us all very well.

And don't for get licensing of asset and standards, such as adobe stock, fonts, PDF and postscript licensing etc. It all adds revenue to the pot.

For me, as a print based graphic designer, InDesign is THE standard. Nothing else comes close. I personally don't know of any one using a rival DTP application in a professional setting either. In understand there's a handful of QuarkXpress or bespoke system based publishers out there, but they're few and far between. InDesign is standard because it is the best solution. I remember when it launched and knocking Quark of its pedestal seemingly overnight. Nothing has come along since then to repeat that feat.

Greg Edwards's gear list:Greg Edwards's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM HP Photosmart B110 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
jfw
jfw
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow