Painted Bunting - Male and Female in Detail

Started 1 month ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 33,616
Painted Bunting - Male and Female in Detail

Earlier this winter, in two different wetlands and on different days, I got some nice close encounters with the lovely painted bunting.  The first encounter at Green Cay Wetlands in Delray Beach in November was of the lovely female, in subtle tones of yellowish-green, out in an open stretch of wetland with a small grove of pond apple trees...not the place I usually encounter buntings.  The second encounter was at Peaceful Waters in Wellington, where a lone male in his glorious paint palette came out to a nearby cypress about 20 feet away to watch me.  Though it was overcast, I usually don't get to see buntings so out in the open - both encounters have me a good opportunity to get some nice tight shots showing good fine feather detail on these beautiful birds.

Posted at 1800 pixels on the long side on the originals, and taken with a Sony A6600 and FE 200-600mm F5.6-6.3 G OSS lens:

The more conservative but still beautiful female painted bunting

She was quite patient - sitting just 10 feet from me and not darting off for a few seconds, until she saw a bug and jumped off farther into the branches to chase the meal

The amazing coloration of the male painted bunting.  This fellow popper out of the tall bushes along the levee I was walking on, out to a young leafless tree to watch me as I walked by

Despite a cloudy sky, the bird was so close, and not in the usual heavy branch and leaf cover I encounter them most times, that he gave me a nice display of the fine feather detail on his back and head

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony a6600 Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +21 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow