R5 Owner's Perspective on Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rlaplaca New Member • Posts: 10
R5 Owner's Perspective on Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra

I am, and have been, a Canon film camera and DSLR camera owner/user since the 1990's. I currently have, among other Canon cameras, an R5 with the RF 100 - 500 mm lens and love the combination. Very, very nice operability characteristics, performance and image quality. This is the best camera I have ever owned and hope to keep it indefinitely.

Having said that, the combination costs over $6K US and it weighs at least 5 lbs. I have to make a definite point to carry it around while looking for wildlife photo opportunities.

I just read about the new Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra that was introduced today and it is quite sobering. Four cameras, raw capability, AI processing, 4K video, etc. and it costs "only" $1200 US.

I know that this subject has been beat to death, but the vast majority of people will never need an R series or other mirrorless or DSLR camera and I am reluctant, but depressed, to say that I can only see the continued death spiral of the traditional camera industry.

I live in Florida, within several miles of the Gulf Coast. Many people go to watch and photograph sunsets.  Virtually everyone is using a smart phone or tablet to do selfies against the setting sun or to take pictures of the sunset itself.

Ten or more years ago, people would see me with my DSLR and ask me to take pictures of them with their digital cameras. Now, no one asks to have their picture taken. Quite a change!

Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
KEG
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow