Sigma 100-400mm f5-6.3 (canon ef mount) is it worth it

Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
OP Dann-Oh Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: Sigma 100-400mm f5-6.3 (canon ef mount) is it worth it

Messier Object wrote:

Dann-Oh wrote:

Messier Object wrote:

what kind(s) of astronomical subjects, and which techniques?

I wouldn't mind reimaging the globular cluster (M92, I think its in Hercules), the basic M42, M45, Ive also thought it would be a fun goal to try to image the different major constellations in a wide field image (not in a single image but just 1 image per constellation).

I’ve never been keen on zooms for Astro. Creep or mis-adjustment of the zoom setting, even very slight amounts, can spoil image stacking completely. You need a tight zoom or a set-up that doesn’t involve you touching the the lens and accidentally bumping the zoom ring. That might sound like an easy problem to solve, but in the dark and especially if you are doing any Manual Focus it can be very easy to bump things (I’ve accidentally bumped the focus ring putting my careful focus work down the drain)

And you need to complete the sequence in one session. Getting the exact/same focal length with a zoom on subsequent nights for stacking . . .

if you’re Ok working with a zoom then the lens will work as well as any other, albeit a bit slow.

Peter

Peter,

What lens do you use for your astro imaging?

Most has been done using my telescope with FF camera attached at the prime focus for nebulae and globular clusters, or with eyepiece projection for planets using m.43 cameras

I also do some with Zuiko and Canon 300mm F2.8 lenses

Peter

Awesome, thanks for your info.

Dann-Oh's gear list:Dann-Oh's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-PL10 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +13 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow