Z6 II Eye and face focusing--Sux

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
1llusive
1llusive Veteran Member • Posts: 3,518
Re: Z6 II Eye and face focusing--Sux

MrHollywood wrote:

Ernie Misner wrote:

MrHollywood wrote:

I have the Z7II and the eye AF is nailing 98% of the time at least. It's gotten to the point where an out-of-focus shot is a shock. I've been shooting a lot of stuff sailing where my D850 had a lower keeper rate.

That sounds great. Is the eye AF any slower to acquire focus than using a single AF point and putting it on the eye?

Robert

Using a single point will always be better in some cases. I can CHOOSE exactly where I want the AF to be. But in a lot of situations the eye AF is getting me the focus points required quicker than I was doing it myself. It's really dependent on the situation.

I only wish there was a big fat button to toggle between Eye-AF and Single point instantly. Maybe there is, but I haven't looked into it.

Robert

Unfortunately there is not. The best we can do is use a7 to remove modes we won't use so cycling is faster. Careful because if you do end up needing those modes you'll create more work going in and re-enabling them. I suggest doing so within the context of a User Settings mode so it doesn't affect all of your shooting styles.

A lot of the time when I'm in Auto-area AF and I want a single point, I bring up subject tracking with Fn2. If that's not fine enough, then I'll switch.

1llusive's gear list:1llusive's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
FKS
HRS
HRS
HRS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow