Need some M4/3 advice

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 13,142
Re: Need some M4/3 advice

dave rogers wrote:

The tyranny of choice is a real challenge these days.

I'm inclined to say, even with permission for a "forever camera," you might be well served by looking at the Panasonic FZ1000. It doesn't have the reach of a m43 300mm lens (600mm effective), so that may be a deal-breaker for you.

But it would simplify your travel experience.

I've found that changing lenses while on travel is a distracting intrusion and something of an unpleasant experience.

This is exactly why I supplanted my 12-35/2.8 and 35-100/2.8 with a 14-140/3.5-5.6 for photo wandering in decent light - I was fed up with lens swapping. Now, 140mm (280mm EFL) isn't as long as I'd like for a safari, which is why I'd bring my FZ1000 instead or in addition. I've only been on one brief safari outing, but I found it invaluable to be able to quickly go from tele to wide and back without having to swap lenses. We'd be driving on a bush-lined track, and suddenly animals would appear in front of us and we'd sometimes drive among them. Having the full wide-to-tele zoom range instantly available was invaluable. Also, conditions were quite dusty, and I wouldn't have been comfortable exposing my sensor to swap lenses.

I'll also note that my LX100 + FZ1000 suggestion has the benefit of allowing one to have one camera set to wide and the other set to tele, and it also provides a backup in case one camera fails. It does require two different battery types, but a single Watson Compact charger with appropriate adapter plates can charge both.

I went to Ireland with a PEN-F and three primes, my wife brought her E-P5 with the 17mm/f2.8 and the 14-42ez. She shot everything with the 17mm pancake, and I ended up borrowing her 14-42 because I just got tired of changing lenses. If we were going out to dinner, I'd put the 20mm/f1.7 pancake on and live with it. But if we were driving around, or walking outdoors, the zoom was so much more useful.

It's not just about the images, it's about the experience you're having as well.

Hope I haven't made things more complicated for you.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +49 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow