Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
tonybelding Senior Member • Posts: 1,087
Re: Whats the future of analog with no new cameras?

Jvlahakis wrote:

Just got my hands on mint Nikon F100. There are so many deals out there. Film cameras were built like tanks. Not a lot of electronics to go bad. Personally, I think someone will come along and release a new film camera. It’s bound to happen.

Built like tanks?  Some were, maybe, but not all by any means.  Also, some of the later and more sophisticated, and full-featured cameras, with more electronics, are the ones most likely to fail.  Not everybody wants to shoot with an Argus C4 or a 1950s folder with no light meter and an uncoupled rangefinder.  Well, not all the time!

My favorite SLR "back in the day" was the Sears KS-2 (Ricoh XR7) that I learned on.  It's a classic, and you can pick them up for peanuts on eBay.  However, getting one that is fully functional with the light meter and in-viewfinder LCD working is a roll of the dice — and that's after replacing the rotted foam seals, which is always required.

Another favorite is the Pentax ZX-5n or MZ-3.  It's compact and lightweight, autofocus, has a great control layout (which Fujifilm seem to have copied for their digital bodies), and a perfect match for those Pentax-FA Limited lenses that are still in production.  However, there is an actuator gear made of plastic that becomes brittle with age, and lot of them have broken.  It's possible to replace, but you have to detail-strip the entire camera (with lots of de-soldering!) to access it.

Another favorite was my Ricoh Diacord G, medium format TLR.  I found a lovely, super well-preserved one on eBay, shot some rolls through it, enjoyed it.  The aperture control was stiff, but I just thought that was normal — until it broke.  I contacted a repair shop, and the reply I got was basically:  Who cares?  Not worth repairing.  Go away and buy another Diacord G off eBay for $50.

None of these are good experiences.  This is not what most of us are used to.  I would welcome a new, decent quality film camera, and I do mean something other than a Leica or a plastic Lomo toy.  I think some camera company will step back into film cameras.  It might be Fujifilm (they do still make film, after all!), or it might be Pentax (they do have those FA lenses!), or it might be Cosina-Voigtländer.

tonybelding's gear list:tonybelding's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Ricoh GR II Sony RX10 IV Pentax Q7 Sony a7 +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow