League table for non tracked wide field Astrophotography

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Interceptor121 Senior Member • Posts: 2,447
League table for non tracked wide field Astrophotography

I have made some research last year when looking for lenses. I discovered that having a wide lens is not actually as good as it looks as those lenses have a small physical aperture so they end up 'eating' stars. I also discovered that although longer lens have a larger aperture and therefore see more stars the field of view means you need to have at least two sets of exposures to combine. I have therefore abandoned longer lenses as you would need to mosaic the images and that is not something I am planning to do. At the end I also found that high ISO eats stars too and you still need to reach a level of brightness before the lens starts seeing the stars so I made a rating that is a composition of the ev value and the log2 of the exposure factor. The resulting table is here. This considers that you can correct aberrations in post but you do need to have some sharpness in the image so some lenses that are 0.95 like voigtlander are treated as f/2. If anyone has any lens to model please write and I will update the table.

Interceptor121's gear list:Interceptor121's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +15 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow