Need some M4/3 advice

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Jon Schick Veteran Member • Posts: 4,705
Re: Need some M4/3 advice

Well the LC1 has one of the nicest fast zoom lenses ever fitted to a non ILC and looks like you are planning on taking that so you have 28-90mm covered, at least until the daylight disappears when the camera becomes a noise box. That is unless you plan on making large prints beyond the capability of its sensor.

I have an E-1, but agree that it wouldn’t be an obvious purchase for safari use nowadays. A good 1” sensor super zoom as suggested by others would be a sensible option but ultimately the image quality will be better with m43. I like the 100-300 lens and its newer iteration has some seals, which isn’t a bad thing in Africa (dust more than rain).

With the larger lens I’d suggest finding a body with a decent grip which would rule out some of the smaller bodies for me, and I’d also aim for (1) the newest sensor you can afford and (2) the best battery life.

With the LC1 and 100-300 I’d consider adding a fast prime (secondhand) possibly at a moderately wide to standard focal length for landscape and twilight shots - eg LUMIX 20mm or one of the various 25mm lenses. I don’t think super wide is particularly necessary in Africa.

Jon Schick's gear list:Jon Schick's gear list
Olympus E-1 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow