An Ode to 24-105 (and Cape Town, South Africa)

Started 3 months ago | User reviews thread
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,366
Re: An Ode to 24-105 (and Cape Town, South Africa)

In the not so distant past, most of my photography was done when travelling.

I have had numerous "all-in-one" lenses over the decades, all with compromises of one kind or another. The most recent one before I got the 24-105 F4 was the Sony 24-240. It was the best I had had and I took a lot of very nice photos with it, but I never was able to get truly acceptable photos above 150mm or so. As soon as the 24-105 F4 became available, I jumped on it based on very positive reviews and I was not disappointed. It was clearly superior to the 10x lens in all regards except of course for the FL.

I have compared it to my 16-35 F4 and primes from 24 to 85mm and it is as good or close enough that I have confidence that I'm getting excellent quality in nearly all situations. I now carry around a Samyang 18 2.8 for the wide end and sometimes also the 24 and 35 2.8s for low light situations. They weigh next to nothing.

I will admit that if the Tamron 28-200 had been available at the time I probably would have chosen it for the longer FL, but I'm not really tempted at the moment. I also have the relatively compact 70-300G for the long end which I take along when I think I might make use of it.

Would love to visit Cape Town!

Cheers

-- hide signature --

"It is perfectly possible to ignore reality. It is not possible to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality" Ayn Rand
"People who don't accept science should stop using it." GM
Visit my galleries at:
http://beautiful-life.smugmug.com/

Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow