Datapoint: Native Webcam Software - A7C vs Canon SL3 (APS-C)

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Moses Regular Member • Posts: 372
Datapoint: Native Webcam Software - A7C vs Canon SL3 (APS-C)

Just a data point. I'm brand agnostic and feel no loyalty to any particular brand.

I've been running at Canon SL3 ($599 retail) APS-C body with the Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 Zoom.  I got a Sony A7C with the Tamron 28-75 2.8 lens. In terms of still photography, both are good and Sony obviously have a better sensor.

However, as a Webcam, the Sony just never felt sharp to me. I finally got he focusing figured out today and now the Sony is doing eye focus and object focus just fine as a webcam.

I just put both side by side with the lenses wide open and same framing and lighting.  There's no question that the Canon SL3 is sharper and more detailed. I tested using face and also a page with colored text.  Now I know when even at optimized focusing the Sony just never felt sharp enough as I've been using the Canon for a few months now.

I'm not sure what is causing the lower sharpness for the Sony but that difference is clear.  It is not huge, but is visible.

Just a data point for anyone who may be interested.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow