What Makes for a Good Zoom Lens for Video?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP Markr041 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,651
Re: What Makes for a Good Zoom Lens for Video?

Leswick II wrote:

Don't wish to sound absolutist, but I do agree with Michael above. No serious visual artist (film/video) would use a zoom. Urrr, rarely one is used for "accent" and the zoom is so slow, that most viewers are nearly unaware of it.

Overall, zooming reminds me (too much) of ol Super 8 home movies.....because they could.

Video cameras are used by more than "serious visual artists" - for sports and action, for example.

I agree with you that zoom is actually used more than people think because it is used slowly, in small bits and discreetly. We are not talking about crash zooms. And of course there is the famous dolly zoom (Spielberg and Hitchcock) But they would gag if called "serious visual artists."

But again, just because there are really awful uses of zooming does not mean it is not useful. Same could be said of panning, or slow motion...

Markr041's gear list:Markr041's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic LX100 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow