Z6 II Eye and face focusing--Sux

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
20thCentury Regular Member • Posts: 154
Re: Z6 II Eye and face focusing--Sux

HRS wrote:

I'm a decades-long Nikon shooter, with a natural affection for their products. That said, I paid approximately $1,000 to upgrade from the Z6 to the Z6 II, and, given the high expectations from the hype surrounding the supposed eye and face focusing improvements, I am highly disappointed. (The problems below occur with the kit 24-70 F4 zoom lens.)

Specifically:

• I have shots of a grandchild in which I saw the yellow eye box land on one eye at the instant I took the shot. But, on playback, the camera selected the other eye to focus on. (This was not a the case of the subject moving rapidly.) This is with the Auto-area AF (people)/AF-C settings and default focusing parameters.
  • In general, in many, if not most, of the shots with an eye supposedly in-focus, the camera has selected a completely different place to focus on, like the nose. Yes, some shots are in perfect eye-focus, but I cannot count on that happening. God forbid you use this camera for photographing a wedding, with no chance for a do-over.

Also:

• Using Auto-area AF/AF-C, after hitting the OK button to get the white selection box, and then selecting a subject, the yellow box will appear to follow the subject (just don't go too fast!) around, but in Playback the camera-selected focus point (the small red box) lags *way* behind the subject. The inability of the now-dual processors to keep pace is really laughable!

Again, I have been a huge Nikon fan for a long time, and have a lot invested in the system that I don't want to sell. But the downward trajectory of Nikon, vis-a-vis Canon especially, would lead me to a different manufacturer if I had it to do over.

Finally, I do not think the camera is a bad copy because single-point AF with AF-S is perfect. Maybe future firmware changes will improve things as they did for the Z6, but the Z6 II is a huge disappointment focusing-wise as things stand today.

I don't want to put pictures of the grandchildren on the internet, so I don't include samples. They would just show a lot of out-of-focus eyes in any event, and I don't have a viewfinder recorder to show how misleading the display can be.

Hmmm, completely the opposite experience to what I have had and with pretty much every review out there...

Many may not like the implementation, but even Jared Polins review showed that the Nikon had a very high keeper rate.

Regardless, without images, it is impossible to see what you are claiming.

If I was a betting man I would bet that half of the images you are complaining about are motion blur and not an issue with eye focus, but without images, we will never know.

20thCentury's gear list:20thCentury's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
HRS
FKS
HRS
HRS
HRS
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow