What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,395
Re: What will happen to your photos after you pass?

Mike B USA wrote:

Let's hope it's a long, long time from now.

What do you think will happen to your photos after you pass away?

My mother has boxes of old photos going back, in a few cases, to the 1850s. They also hold the few surviving prints from my first ventures into photography in the 1950s. When she dies I'm sure they'll be taken over by one of her descendants (but not by me, as it happens).

Between us one of my brothers, my sister and I have scanned a couple of thousand of them, so a lot are now preserved in digital form in several places (for example, the PBase galleries in my signature).

The same applies to a proportion of my own digital photos and scans of my old film photos.

My wife has her own collection of traditional albums, which include the prints she wants of the photos I've taken.

What do you want to happen to them?

Frankly, I don't really care. It is of interest to me and other members of my family to look back at old photos; and I expect that that will continue (to some degree, at least). So if taking my back-up drive with every photo I've kept on it provides that sort of interest for my descendants that's fine - but it's their business, not mine.

Are you taking any action now to narrow any suspected gap between what will happen and what you want to happen?

No and yes. No, because I'm not taking specific action to control what other people do with my photos in future. Yes, because I take care to maintain multiple copies of all my photos. This is primarily for my own sake (I don't want to lose them) but it means that if my descendants do choose to keep them it's easy for them to do so.

-- hide signature --

Gerry
http://www.pbase.com/gerrywinterbourne
gerry.winterbourne@ntlworld.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Smaug01
MOD Smaug01
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow