Mulling over the PL12-60

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,989
Mulling over the PL12-60

I`ve been Mulling over the PL12-60 again ..... I`ve sadly decided to leave the Oly 12-100 based on size alone - yeah it`d balance on the G9 nicely but it`s massive and weighs not far off twice the PL and Oly 12-40 ...

Last time I tried a PL was on the GX80 ages ago and it was soft at the edges at 12mm (worse than the Lumix version) , could have been that sample by reports on here and samples would appear to vary more than the OLy Pro lenses . a few questions

1:- hard to quantify but did QC possibly tighten up with later ones (I always buy used)

2:- is CA better than the Lumix 12-60 as its pretty heavy there even on Pan Bodies a d in RAW

3:- is Distortion at 12mm less than the Lumix .

these latter two are what I want to improve on overall as well as more clarity at 60mm like the oly 12-40 has at 40mm (so less of the typical kit lens look) with the PL over the Lumix - along with the Lumix' annoying 60mm random soft side syndrome which seems to be caused by catching the OIS on the hop, I`ve seen it with every copy I`ve used and Photozone did also on the three they tried , it seems better on the G9 as the IBIS is far more capable than in the GX cams so would appear to be doing more of the work but its still a bugbear of the Lumix for me ....... and I`d not refuse the 2/3 to 1 stop faster aperture too .

Pls tend to go for about £400 used in the UK similar to the Oly 12-40 but as much as I like the Oly 12-40 , this is a walkabout cam and I need the reach .

thanks

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow