Tamron 17-70 compared to other APS-C zooms

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Purplegreen Regular Member • Posts: 147
Re: Tamron 17-70 compared to other APS-C zooms

paul wassermann wrote:

idsurfer wrote:

paul wassermann wrote:

idsurfer wrote:

Well the reviews out there are a little concerning for softness at the long end. The one with the super fit dude with the accent shooting focus charts is particularly bad.

I just got shipping confirmation so I guess I'll see for myself in two days. Without a doubt I'll mount it up and zoom right out to 70mm @ 2.8 and fire away. Fingers crossed that it is acceptable! Stay tuned folks!

Really look forward to your results. Be sure to try 60, 65 as well as if it is soft there I would definitely not be interested.

I'll put it through the paces and report back within a day or so. I really hope it works out. I can't imagine why Tamron would even bother to put it out if its a weak lens.

I think it will be a very capable lens. But its only advantages over the Sony 16-55 are longer reach, stabilization, and price. If longer reach is compromised it loses one of its biggest selling points. It would still remain an excellent 17-55mm lens for those without a stabilized body and/or budget constraints.

Hope you find it really excellent.

Minimum focusing distance is shorter with the Tamron than the Sony, especially on the wider end. See here at 8:57 (video is in German). That gives near-macro results and fantastic bokeh and subject separation.

Purplegreen's gear list:Purplegreen's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow