Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 14,645
Re: A basic video question

Harold66 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

Harold66 wrote:

pa4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Burst - in this mode the camera records while the shutter is pressed. This is close to normal burst mode for stills.

Burst(S/S) - in this mode press shutter release button to start and stop recording. So you press once to start recording, and again to stop recording. This is basically the same as starting and stopping normal video recording.

Pre-Burst - Camera records continuously to one second (30 frames on G7/G80 etc.)). When shutter release button is pressed, the camera saves the 30 frames that were recorded before the shutter release button was pressed along 30 following frames. In total of 2 seconds of video is recorded. The amount of frames may be different with G9 compared to G7/G80 etc, I think 4k on G9 is up to 60fps and 6k is 30fps. This is somewhat similar to ProCapture in Olympus cameras.

Ok, first thank you very much for your explanation

I guess burst s/s is closer to what I am looking for . it is jpegs only, yes

No, the output is a MP4 video file. By the specific in-camera feature, or by an video editor, we can extract frames in jpg only. The sort of extraction can also be applied on other normal video footage.

also to use the full sensor readout is is something I must select in one of the menus ?please if you could clarify this , thanks

No need to do anything. Just note that in contrast 16:9 recording crops from top and bottom of the frame even if the full sensor width is used. Some cameras crop even more when recording 4k video (not G9, though). But when using 4:3 the whole image circle and sensor area is used, which is very nice.

ok great

Note that if you want to adjust exposure parameters and ISO when shooting normal video, you need to be in creative movie mode. Otherwise the camera will use automatic settings. This is super important, so here is an example: If you are in M, S or A mode and start recording video, then shutter speed, aperture and ISO will be adjusted automatically by camera, no matter what settings you have selected from the camera (exp. comp should work, though).

I did not know that. very useful info . I normally shoot manual mode but I can use a semi auto mode if you think it is easier that way

I don't understand. But inside Creative Movie mode, there are separate P, A, S & M modes video.

However, if you are 4k/6k photo mode, then the parameters you choose in M, S or A mode should be used by the camera to record the video. It's better to double check this, though.

ok will check . looks like 6k photo mode is my better option based on some of the replies I got

Note that 4k/6k photo modes are not meant to be used for long clips, and they can introduce overheating.

ok any idea of how many seconds or minutes I can shoot in 6k. I hope I would get at least 20 or 30 seconds to show the model move

Have you ever find a Panny camera over heat on video shooting?

4K/6K photo modes indeed is a video recording, but has the flexibilty on choosing aspect ratio only. Overheating will occur on Pre Burst mode mostly which is not for your purpose.

S

are you saying that on the GR it was VGA and not 1080P ? I guess I better check

No, I don't know. But before HD (720 lines), the standard aspect ratio for digital camera video was 4:3.

ok I will check on my GR.

-- hide signature --

FOLLOW me on IG @ledaylightstudio.
thedemandingtraveler.org
www.haroldglit.com
IG :thedemandingtraveler

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow