A basic video question

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
pannumon Veteran Member • Posts: 3,172
Re: A basic video question

Harold66 wrote:

pannumon wrote:

You could shoot 4k and crop it to 4:3. 4k is 3840x2160 (8Mp) so you could crop it to 2880 x 2160 (6Mp). In comparison FullHD is 1920 x 1080 (2Mp).

But the real answer is that you could try 4k/6k photo modes in S/S submode and utilize the full sensor readout (not only full sensor width).

S/S submode ... what is it . does it mean shutter speed something ?

4k (and 6k?) photo mode has recording methods:

Burst - in this mode the camera records while the shutter is pressed. This is close to normal burst mode for stills.

Burst(S/S) - in this mode press shutter release button to start and stop recording. So you press once to start recording, and again to stop recording. This is basically the same as starting and stopping normal video recording.

Pre-Burst - Camera records continuously to one second (30 frames on G7/G80 etc.)). When shutter release button is pressed, the camera saves the 30 frames that were recorded before the shutter release button was pressed along 30 following frames. In total of 2 seconds of video is recorded. The amount of frames may be different with G9 compared to G7/G80 etc, I think 4k on G9 is up to 60fps and 6k is 30fps. This is somewhat similar to ProCapture in Olympus cameras.

also to use the full sensor readout is is something I must select in one of the menus ?please if you could clarify this , thanks

No need to do anything. Just note that in contrast 16:9 recording crops from top and bottom of the frame even if the full sensor width is used. Some cameras crop even more when recording 4k video (not G9, though). But when using 4:3 the whole image circle and sensor area is used, which is very nice.

Note that if you want to adjust exposure parameters and ISO when shooting normal video, you need to be in creative movie mode. Otherwise the camera will use automatic settings. This is super important, so here is an example: If you are in M, S or A mode and start recording video, then shutter speed, aperture and ISO will be adjusted automatically by camera, no matter what settings you have selected from the camera (exp. comp should work, though).

I did not know that. very useful info . I normally shoot manual mode but I can use a semi auto mode if you think it is easier that way

I don't understand. But inside Creative Movie mode, there are separate P, A, S & M modes video.

However, if you are 4k/6k photo mode, then the parameters you choose in M, S or A mode should be used by the camera to record the video. It's better to double check this, though.

ok will check . looks like 6k photo mode is my better option based on some of the replies I got

Note that 4k/6k photo modes are not meant to be used for long clips, and they can introduce overheating.

Shooting video in manual mode is no problem, because usually the shutter speed needs to fixed to something like 1/50s to make the motion look smooth. You probably also want to keep the aperture constant as well, unless you can adjust it steplessly. What is left to adjust is ISO.

as long as I can shoot the iso , I do not need to change it for one video

Note that you don't want too much light when shooting at base ISO, 1/50s and wide apertures. Alternative you can use ND filters to block too much light.

I don t think there is a technical impossibility since I can shoot video in 4:3 on my Ricoh GR and GRII but I do not see the setting on my Panasonic G9

GH5 and GH5S should have this possibility, given that they can shoot 4:3 anamorphic. With older (Micro Four Thirds) cameras it was possible to record VGA video (640x480), but higher resolutions are usually 16:9 or even slightly wider options (check DCI, UHD)

are you saying that on the GR it was VGA and not 1080P ? I guess I better check

No, I don't know. But before HD (720 lines), the standard aspect ratio for digital camera video was 4:3.

pannumon's gear list:pannumon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +18 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow