Does Dynamic range matter if you're exporting jpegs anyway?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Thurnau Contributing Member • Posts: 503

I'm a Nikon D500 shooter, and I'm contemplating a jump to D850, and wondering if my jpegs will look better after exporting for the web.

Obviously, I'd like to capture more detail in black while also not blowing out highlights.

I'm assuming a better camera with dynamic range could help, but if I'm exporting for the web as jpegs, does it matter?

I suppose it can be the same discussion about color. If I shoot in 14 bit color, but I export to jpeg (which I think is limited to 10 bit color), hypothetically, would any benefit of a better sensor on a better camera get diminished? I saw a photographer with Hasselblad comparing against a Nikon D850, and the Hasselblad came out with better lifelike color, and more lifelike texture in the hair. I've also seen shots where there is no/little difference. This hasselblad promotional video was also seen in youtube, where I doubt it's showing 16 bit color, so what's going on behind the magic? I'm intrigued with Medium Format, but it's out of my budget. This is the video: https://youtu.be/BjFBQr7KkEg

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Bob
Bob
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow