Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC

Started 4 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ArtistAndCamera
ArtistAndCamera Forum Member • Posts: 84
Tamron SP 45mm f/1.8 VC

Don't be tempted by faster apertures, this Tamron 45mm f/1.8 VC is the best "normal" focal length I have ever used. It is fairly sharp at f/1.8 and very, very crisp at f/2.2 and onward! There is little to no distortion, and it focuses quite close for some casual macro. The VC is amazing, allowing photos in lower light than even an f/1.2 lens since you can shoot at shutter speeds slower than 1/40. I have found that 1/25 is the lowest I would go with this lens, but individual handheld capabilities vary. The VC is also quiet which makes it great for video. I have attached two examples. The Autofocus is fast and quiet. My copy did not need any micro-adjustment but this should be easy to fix with either the in-camera menu or Tamron's lens dock. Finally, the build is sturdy with a strong metal body and mount and a comfortable and wide rubber focus ring.

(If you are on the fence between the Tamron 45mm and the Sigma 50mm, I would choose the Tamron because of the VC and possibly better sharpness. However, I have never tried the new Sigma in person, I've only looked at test photos.)

Here are some sample videos shot with the Tamron 45mm on my Nikon D610, mostly on a tripod.

Abandoned Old Boat [Drone, Hitfilm Express] - YouTube

New Years Nature Video [Hitfilm Express] - YouTube

-- hide signature --

"No. You're forgetting," said the Spirit. "That was not how you began. Light itself was your first love: you love paint only as a means of telling about light."
"Oh, that's ages ago," said the Ghost. "One grows out of that. Of course, you haven't seen my later works. One becomes more and more interested in paint for its own sake."
CS Lewis, The Great Divorce

ArtistAndCamera's gear list:ArtistAndCamera's gear list
Nikon D610 GoPro Hero5 Black Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD +6 more
Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
Prime lens • Canon EF, Nikon F (FX), Sony/Minolta Alpha
Announced: Sep 2, 2015
ArtistAndCamera's score
Average community score
Nikon D610 Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow