Canon G3X Image Quality

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
saaber1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,148
Re: Canon G3X Image Quality

Dave Robertson wrote:

Thanks for the reply arrow501.

Here are 2 I took recently

Here is what I would do to evaluate max sharpness of the camera for sitting birds/wildlife. First, separate the variables that can affect image quality that are due to technique, from variables that are due to the camera's capabilities/limitations

Technique related variables to eliminate:

1) shoot in bright light, have the sun at your back and shoot birds in the bright sun (You can shoot shaded birds later when you know what max capabilities are in the best light). This is a HUGE factor for smaller sensor sizes and smaller apertures (larger aperture #)

2) stability. Shoot with camera on tripod or resting on something solid. Slowly squeeze the shutter while holding camera as still as possible Use continuous high shutter to get multiple shots of the same thing in case some are blurred due to camera shake

3) shutter speed. Ideally you want to have higher shutter speeds than u are using but this is affected by light available of course

4). Shoot in M mode. Assuming u are shooting at longer focal lengths, choose the lowest aperture number, an acceptable iso such as 200, 400, then change shutter speed until you get the desired exposure (lightness or darkness) on the lcd. I realize this Shutter speed may be slower than ideal but this isn't a dslr so u have to live with it and that's another benefit of using continuous high (ie multiple shots to choose from)

5) autofocus, longer discussion here on how to set up AF, but in short make sure YOU are selecting the focus point with a single box/point. Don't let the camera choose the focal point. Also make sure the camera is not continually focusing (unless you are purposely wanting it to continually focus by holding the shutter half way).

6) don't use any sort of digital zoom, which is a form of cropping (sometimes with jpeg tweaks applied in-camera to enhance it the image).

Any one of the above will cause u to lose sharpness/detail (potentially so in the case of digital zoom depending on what u are doing or not doing with post processing) . Having more than one present in ur technique can be really detrimental. Amount of light hitting the subject alone f.e. Can make almost all other variables irrelevant, especially with small sensor cameras and smaller apertures (higher aperture #). I think amt of light on the subject is the biggest thing to address in the two photos u posted.

cameras limitations:

im out of time so perhaps can add more info here later but addressing the technique stuff will probably help pics a lot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow