Any long-term perspectives on the 16-80 f/4?

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Emile Dorkheim Forum Member • Posts: 63
Any long-term perspectives on the 16-80 f/4?

I was excited for the 16-80 f/4 before it came out, but I ended up being put off by reports of distortion and poor corner resolution. Now that it's been out for over a year, I'm curious how long-term users are liking it? Is it the general-purpose convenience lens of your dreams, or did you try it and sell it on?

My usual landscape kit is the 16mm f/1.4, 18-55mm and 55-200mm. This covers most situations and I have no concerns with image quality. I take 90% of my landscape photos with the 18-55mm but often find myself switching to the other lenses just to check what the composition would look like at those shorter and longer focal lengths, which gets a little tedious. The idea of being able to try a wide range of focal lengths with one lens seems like I could spend more time thinking about my shot and enjoying the process, and less time fiddling with gear, particularly when it comes to switching filters between different lenses. If I had 16-80mm on one lens I would still carry the 55-200mm, but I suspect I'd rarely feel the need to use it.

As a hobbyist, my IQ requirements aren't very strict, but I certainly wouldn't want a step down from the 18-55 in IQ. The way people reacted to the 16-80mm when it came out, it seemed like a step down, but when I look up MTF charts now it doesn't seem so clear-cut - perhaps a little better in the centre and a little worse at the edges. I'd be interested to hear from people who use the 16-80 for landscape photography to see how satisfied people are with the IQ. I don't expect it to rival the 16mm f/1.4 at 16mm, but I'm wondering if it will be 'good enough'? After all, for me landscape photography is only half about the images - the other half is about enjoying the process.

Emile Dorkheim's gear list:Emile Dorkheim's gear list
Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +4 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
afm
afm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow