To Leica now or to wait?

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
imagesofjames Regular Member • Posts: 125
To Leica now or to wait?

Thanks in advance for your insight. I am lets call it an advanced hobbyist photographer. I get paid fairly regularly to do small commissioning jobs, but its more to pay for my gear than anything. I shoot nikon d850 (please refrain from slurs haha) and am very happy with my kit and need the megapixels as I frequently blow images up to 36"x48" so selling is NOT an option as we get to the reason I am on here.

NOW this is where I could use some advice. A few years ago I was gifted a Leica kit by a close family friend, it included:

Leica M3

Leica M4-P

Leitz Wetzlar Summilux 50mm F1.4

Leitz Summicron 35mm F2 Version 3

Letiz Summilux 35mm F1.4

Leitz Tele-Elmarit M 90mm F2.8

Leitz Wetzlar Elmar 135mm F4

Leitz Summicron 90mm F2

I believe most of the lenses are all from 1960 other than the Summicron version 3. I have played around with some film and I enjoyed it, but learning to use a rangefinder with film and the turnover rate is not feasible (takes weeks to get the prints). I am not made of money to buy a new Leica, so have been keeping my eyes on Kijiji for a used. Do you feel its worth it to buy an older digital leica? Say an M9/M240? Should I wait a few more years to save up for a newer alternative? Its a huge investment for me, but having all these beautiful old lenses are KILLING me just sitting doing nothing. Any insight???

Canon EOS M3 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow