New G Master Lens in the DPREVIEW TV Nikon Z7II Vid

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ISO 1 Million Contributing Member • Posts: 599
Re: Here's a photo where you can see the G more clearly

Malling wrote:

aSevenArr wrote:

GF wrote:

LiveFromPhilly wrote.

Also, it's definitely not the 20mm since that has a different minimum focus distance compared to this lens (the 20mm is .63ft, this lens is .89ft)

It should be the released lens that’s why they cover the lens. Based on Sony Rumor, most likely it is 35mm f1.4.

Yes, that would be my guess.

A long overdue 35mm GM

There has been one for years, albeit with a different name, the Sony Zeiss 1.4/35. This new lens is basically just a v. 2.0 If you have any doubt put the two pictures next to each other of the two lenses, the shape, aperture ring, focus ring is completely identical.

So no let’s puncture the idea of a new lens, this clearly for me more indicate that Sony has begun updating their existing lenses and it’s about time. This means they start with the oldest first these where the Sony Zeiss but in v. 2 these are just renamed G and GM.

The Sony Zeiss lenses are not GM lenses.  It can be argued how much influence Zeiss actually had in the design of the Sony Zeiss lenses but they have absolutely none in the GM lenses.  The lens pictured in the OP looks nothing like the distagon 35.  The distagon has a petal shaped hood while this one has a lens hood more in line with longer focal lengths.  The distagon has no focus hold button while this one does.  The distagon and other Sony Zeiss lenses have a slightly shinier metal finish while the GM lenses have a matte textured finish.

I have no doubt that a 35mm 1.4 GM lens will be different in design both internally and externally.  I have no comment on whether it will be a better lens but it will definitely be a different design and not a "2.0" version of a Sony Zeiss lens.

ISO 1 Million's gear list:ISO 1 Million's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 Sony a7R III Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GF
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow