Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
NotASpeckOfCereal Senior Member • Posts: 1,657
Re: Photoshop 5.0 software for the D850

dave gaines wrote:

stretchman wrote:

I'm using Photoshop CC 2021 with my D850. I know the monthly subscription isn't appealing to everyone but it comes with a few new features that may interest you.

I want to avoid paying a monthly fee, as much as $40, on an ongoing basis. That adds up over time. Buying an upgrade every few years was less expensive and if you didn't switch cameras you could keep using it.

Actually, for just PS and LR, it's $10 a month (minimum cloud storage)

And you were

1. paying as much for an update (at $150-180 a pop) every couple of years (though at PS5, you may even have been skipping several updates), and
  2. not getting updates AT ALL until you did update. This is compared to several updates per year, every year, on the subscription model
  3. missing a butt load of advances since CSS, which was released 10 years ago in 2010. You saved a lot of money, but you also went without advanced features, functionality, and bug fixes. 

I understand your misgivings over the subscription. I avoided it for a long time. But when I actually did the math, it wasn't really more expensive.

Or you can live with CS5 another decade, but there's a chance it will just stop running on some future operating system upgrade (or are you on some ancient version of that as well?). They do not guarantee it will run forever.

Just in case it's not mentioned further down in this thread (because I won't check), you can convert your D850 NEFs to DNG with the Adobe DNG converter (free download), and that will probably load into CS5 (since that format was released in 2004).

Chris

NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list:NotASpeckOfCereal's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow