DxO DeepPRIME testing

Started Jan 11, 2021 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 16,167
DxO DeepPRIME testing

I decided to try out PhotoLab's DeepPRIME NR technology on an old raw image of mine. This was taken back in 2012, with a then-new RX100. Back then, the idea of using high ISOs with a 1" sensor seemed strange, but this image was taken in low light in a tiny, shabby museum in the ghost town of Quillagua, the driest place on earth in the Atacama Desert, featuring the Chinchorro mummies, dating back to 5000BC. The museum (more of just a store) is normally locked, and is only opened by special arrangement.

This is one of the ancient specimens, shot at ISO3200, and processed in this case with DxO's HQ NR, which is the best that would have been available in 2012:

Processed from raw with HQ NR.

I decided to try various more modern NR technologies on it, including DxO PRIME and Topaz DeNoise AI (using both options). In all cases, the raw processing was done in PhotoLab, with 16-bit TIFF files passed to Topaz DeNoise if applicable.

1200x1200 100% crops

What's interesting here is how the two different AI technologies treat a mottled noisy area in the bottom and centre right. DxO decided it was mainly noise, and got rid of most of the mottling, while Topaz decided it could see a texture through the noise. I don't know which is right, but it's an example of how Topaz fakes texture.

I then decided to try different levels of DeepPRIME:

Seven different Luminance levels of DeepPRIME, compared with PRIME and HQ

Even a DeepPRIME Luminance level of 0 does appreciable noise reduction. I don't think there's a benefit of going over 40 (the default setting), and with low ISOs, a lower setting may be better.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Lan
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow