New computer dilemma

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
whazzup Contributing Member • Posts: 618
New computer dilemma

2015 iMac showing its age and looking to upgrade. Dilemma is wait for new iMac or plunge for the new Mini. Use case: 80% web based or MS Office/iWork for work, 20% photo/video hobby.  I use Lightroom Classic and webby version, some Photoshop, iMovie and Premiere Elements. I need Windows for one specific program and I have a number of Intel Macbooks to use it on.

So what makes it interesting is the combination of a Mac Mini with 16/512 or 1 TB with the LG 5K monitor is about the same price as a 27" iMac. Most other 27" monitors I've found are 4K except the LG that Apple sells and, again, this brings the overall price to about what an iMac would cost. Traditionally, the performance of the iMacs have been better than the Minis so I wonder if that would still be true.

Those who have gone from an iMac to the new Mini, what has been your experience if you've downgraded the monitor from 5K to 4K? I know we can't predict the specs on upcoming machines, or when they'll even be sold, which makes timing (as always) a crapshoot.

Thanks

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow