Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ScratchDisk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784
Re: Light stand for Manfrotto 024b boom arm

You mean Manfrotto 173b? I am hesitant to buy this instead of 024b and make the boom either buying separatedly the pivoting clamp and the light counterweight, or probably mounting it in a 026 directly.

But 173b is a single bar?

Yes.

Concerning the Manfrotto Lite-Tite Swivel Umbrella Adapter 026, this item has some significant limitations. For many years it has been the benchmark umbrella holder while securing a Speedlite directly onto its upper spigot. The loads in that role are not wildly unbalanced so it remains a reasonable choice.

However if you were to use it, the 026, to secure the 'stand end' of any kind of Mini Boom; i.e. trying to secure a significant lever, it will let you down eventually. Although it may look as if four surfaces are enrolled in creating friction for the angle holding clamp, in fact it's only two - and - they are flat. Contrast that with the superficially similar metal umbrella holders that employ radially cut teeth on the clamped surfaces. These latter are ultimately much more reliable at the proximal end of a mini-boom, IMO.

i.e.: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838894-REG/impact_ca_108_swivel_umbrella_adapter.html

(maybe the only 'Impact' item I would suggest)

or: Flashpoint Swivel Umbrella Adapter.

Better yet, use a Gag, Grip-head or dedicated Boom Pivot item as mentioned & shown above.

ScratchDisk's gear list:ScratchDisk's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M5 Canon EOS 90D
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow