* Wed C&C "No Theme" Thread #663 on 2021 01 06 *

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
RoelHendrickx
OP RoelHendrickx Forum Pro • Posts: 27,373
Mike nailed it

RoelHendrickx wrote:

minniev wrote:

This time of year several kinds of gulls and terns show up for a month or so to winter with the egrets and herons at the dam. A sunrise with low fog makes them a fun target. I didn't realize til I looked at some of them that the birds cast their own shadows on the fog in these conditions.

I really like the shape of the silhouette, and of course the shadow-on-fog effect.

But I am unsure about the crop.

We need the water below and we need a bit of room for the shadow and we need some forward area for the bird to fly into, and he cannot be forced against the top or the left edge of the image, but I still feel that a bit less real estate would be more. A square crop would put the bird too much in the center.

I can't find an easy or obvious crop here, but I still feel like it would improve with some cropping intervention. Dilemma.

I posted my own comment first, and only then looked at Mike's and Pete's.

I was immediately pleased with Mike's crop. It emphasizes the verticality of the shadow without losing the horizontal motion. And he finds the sweet spot for compositional placement, IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Roel Hendrickx
lots of images: http://www.roelh.zenfolio.com

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow