When do you think the R5 price will hit my 'sweet spot'?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
bernie r
bernie r Regular Member • Posts: 263
Re: When do you think the R5 price will hit my 'sweet spot'?

sportyaccordy wrote:

thunder storm wrote:

Canon's problem: Canon has only 2 new sensors. Will Canon waste these sensors on crippled bodies? Or will Canon discount the R6 and R5? Both options aren't great for Canon. However, given the current pricing of the R6 and R5 there's some room to lower the prices.

I think it doesn't make sense to bring out extra bodies with the sensors of the R and RP next to R and RP.

If they release new models then the price of lower tier cameras like the R, R5 and R6 will lower drastically.

The R6 and R5 are flag ship models, and I don't think we will see new sensors, so I don't see bodies at a a higher level than the R5 and R6 appear.

I think the R5 will get well below $3k in about 2-3 years. The supply disruption has kept R5 and R6 prices up. Had this not been the case then I would bet their prices would have dropped by now or in the near future.

My advice is to wait things out with your current gear if it is serving you well. At some point the R5 will come down in price to the point you find acceptable. Or there will be a model that does. There are rumors of a R replacement and this might just be the camera for you at your price point.

But...... what sensor would it get?

If it's the same, it doesn't need an upgrade.

If it's another one it would be hurting sales of the R6 and R5.......

Be patient.

R5 and def R6 are not flagship bodies. R5 is the mirrorless 5D; 5D has never been a flagship.

There is at least 1 new sensor coming- a 90MP FF one

https://www.canonrumors.com/canon-cameras-that-were-told-are-coming-in-2021/

I honestly would not be surprised if the R1- which is definitely coming- had a new global shutter sensor.

All the low end stuff can use recycled sensors. I would not be mad at all if the rumored camera between the R6 and next RP retained the 30MP sensor. But the suggestion that no new sensors are coming is a little off base IMO. I mean if you really think about it the only all new sensor in the RF lineup is the 45MP one in the R5. The rest were adapted from DSLRs from 3-4 years ago. So I doubt Canon's sensor development arm has been sitting on its hands this whole time.

Mirrorless 5D... In what way?

-- hide signature --

Computer:
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
X570 Aorus Master
TG Dark Pro 3200 14-14-14-31 64GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Founders Edition
Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
Samsung 860 Evo 4TB
Corsair MP510 960gb
Corsair MP510 960gb
Corsair MP510 4TB(boot)
WD Gold 12TB
WD Gold 12TB
Camera:
Canon EOS R5
Canon RF 15-35 2.8
Canon RF 28-70 2
Canon EF 70-200 2.8
Canon EF 500 f/4 L IS II USM + 1.4X III
Sigma 105 1.4 DG HSM Art
Stuff:
Gitzo Fluid Gimbal Head
Gitzo GT4543LS Systematic Series 4 Carbon eXact Long Tripod
Benro Mach3 TMA38CL Carbon Fibre Tripod
Benro G3 Ball Head

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow